Immigration Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Answers to Immigration Law's Most Frequently Asked Questions

Copyright 1999, 2000. VIKRAM BADRINATH, P.C. All rights reserved.

Home Page | Contact Us | Immigration Law | Attorney's Corner | Favorite Links | About Vikram Badrinath | BIA Decisions | Latest News | Visa Bulletin | Professional Visas (H-1B) | Employment Authorization ("Work Permits") | Applying for U.S. Citizenship | Message Board | SEARCH | Code of Federal Regulations | Privacy | Links | Advertising | Internet Marketing | Dislcaimer | Copyright | Security


Traditionally, U.S. Immigration Law has always been a complex, and sophistocated realm requiring a great deal of expertise and experience, combined with problem solving abilities. Unfortunately, most immigrants come to this country with little more than a basic understanding of the English language and a desire to live the "American dream." Hence, the frustration associated with weaving through complex immigration regulations, bureaucratic procedures, and protracted administrative processing times becomes readily apparent and often makes the entire immigration process seem daunting, if not impossible.

The pages that follow are intended to answer some frequently asked questions (F.A.Q.). While they cannot substitute for your unique legal situation or the expertise of your own, competent legal counsel, they are offered as educational materials only in hopes of providing a basic framework for solving problems. The following questions and answers may assist you in gaining a basic knowledge and understanding of the various types of immigration issues that confront individuals on a daily-basis.


What's a "Green Card" and How Do You Get One? [BACK TO TOP]


What's the difference between the different visas? (Temporary) Statuses: B, E, F, J, H and L? [BACK TO TOP]


What is an H-1B visa for Professionals? [BACK TO TOP]


How does an F-1 or M-1 get an Employment Authorization Document? [BACK TO TOP]


Does a J-1 Exchange Visitor have to depart for two (2) years? [BACK TO TOP]


"Green Cards" for "Outstanding" Researchers and Professors [BACK TO TOP]


"Green Cards" for Persons of "Extraordinary" or "Exceptional" Ability [BACK TO TOP]


"Green Cards" for Other Professionals [BACK TO TOP]


How do I change my non-immigrant status? [BACK TO TOP]


How do I get a work permit? [BACK TO TOP]


How do I get a Social Security Number? [BACK TO TOP]