August 8, 2001

U.S. INS Extends Temporary Protected Status (TPS)
For Nationals of Montserrat

WASHINGTON – The Immigration and Naturalization Service today announced the extension of Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for nationals of Montserrat for an additional year until August 27, 2002. 

The extension of TPS for Montserrat is effective August 27, 2001, and will remain in effect until August 27, 2002. Nationals of Montserrat who are currently registered under the TPS program must re-register during the 90-day period from August 3, 2001, until November 1, 2001.

Under the extension, those who already have TPS are eligible to live and work in the United States for an additional year and continue to maintain their status. Applicants for extension can begin applying immediately. The re-designation of TPS for Montserrat will affect approximately 323 nationals.

Section 244 of the Immigration and Nationality Act authorizes the Attorney General to grant TPS to aliens in the United States who are nationals of countries that are subject to armed conflict, natural disaster or other extraordinary conditions. On August 28, 1997, the Attorney General designated Montserrat under the TPS program. Since that time, the Attorney General and Department of State have continuously examined conditions in Montserrat and recently found that a further extension is warranted due to the continued threat of further volcanic eruption, the ongoing housing shortage, and the serious health risks from volcanic ash.

To re-register for the extension a TPS applicant must submit Form I-821 and Form I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization), as well as two identification photographs (1 ” x 1 ”) to the local INS district office in the jurisdiction of the re-registrant. Both forms must be submitted for re-registration. If the applicant is only seeking to re-register for TPS and not seeking an EAD extension, there is no filing fee. However, all applicants seeking an extension of employment authorization until August 27, 2002 must submit a $100 filing fee with Form I-765 (Application for Employment Authorization). The applicant may request a fee waiver in accordance with the regulations. The applicant for an extension of TPS benefits do not need to submit new fingerprints and therefore do not need to submit a $25 fee. These forms are available from the toll-free INS Forms line, 1-800-870-3676, or from the INS Web site,

Those granted TPS must receive advance permission to return to the United States before traveling abroad. This advance permission is called Advance Parole. Failure to obtain advance parole prior to traveling abroad may result in the withdrawal of your TPS and/or the institution or re-calendaring of removal proceedings. Advance parole is issued on a case-by-case basis. Individuals who are granted TPS may apply for advance parole by filing Form I-131 at their local INS district office. 

- INS -